Even in the Middle Ages, in 1455, the Chablis area was already known for its great wines which were exported to England, to Flanders and to Picardy.
At the end of the 19th century, phylloxera destroyed the grapevines. The vineyard rebuilt itself piece by piece and flourished in the 1960’s.
Today, the area planted in Chablis is around 6,000 ha of Chardonnay vines on a terroir of Kimmeridgian marl. The Chablis area is known throughout the world for the reputation of its dry and fruity wines.
Until the end of the 19th century, the vineyard of Tonnerre is well-known for its red wines, more than 1,000 ha in 1885 planted in Tonnerre, Epineuil, Dannemoine, Junay et Molosmes. It is located on a terroir of Kimmeridgian marl alongside the Armançon river around Tonnerre.
As everywhere in Burgundy, phylloxera destroyed the grapevines. The vineyard was reconstituted since 1970: 80 ha of Pinot Noir in Epineuil for red and rosé wine production and 60 ha of Chardonnay in Tonnerre for white wine production.
The latest of Burgundy wine appellations is white Burgundy Tonnerre.
This vineyard, full of history, is more than a thousand years old and is made of terraced and high-trained vines. Below the Abbey of Saint-Vivant located on a rock spur, the Benedictine monks grew vines and vinified in the cellars of the Abbey. For 650 years, they farmed the prestigious vines of La Romanée-Saint-Vivant and of La Romanée-Conti.